Sunday, April 22, 2012

Aromatherapy for colds & everything else

Growing up my mom used aromatherapy for all kinds of things. When we had colds, to purify and clean the air, for relaxtion, for migraines...looking back I'm really thankful for all she taught me without actually "teaching" me.

 Now, as I attempt to raise my own child I've really been getting back into aromatherapy. I mean REALLY INTO IT. My mother in law is also hooked. So, together we have found recipes for helping with soriosis, colds, aching joints, bug repellant, burns, sleep, and basically any other need that arises.

My latest obsession started last night when Reef could barely breath through his nose. This poor kid caught my cold...it was inevitable. He was really getting sick of sitting in the bathroom and breathing the peppermint/eucalyptus steam I had going on in there and honestly, I was sick of sweating to death. Anyways, I needed something for our bedroom that would help him breath since he really really REALLY hates aspirators; by the time I'm done sucking those booger out he cries so much they just come right back. Le sigh.

I had seen people rave about humidifiers so we ran to walgreens and got a cold mist one so I could add essential oils to it for his breathing. The result was absolutely astounding. I added 8 drops of peppermint essential oil, 8 drops of eucalyptus essential oil, and 6 drops of lavendar into the water tank. I turned it on and left the room to give Reef a quick lavendar bath. When we came back in the room was smelling amazing and the difference in air quality was epic.

After aspirating Reefs nosing and rocking him for ten minutes I noticed that he wasnt having trouble breathing. He nursed like a champ and passed out breathing nice and CLEAR! I was really stoked because I didn't need to use the aspirator in the middle of the night, which makes Reef very happy. I was also breathing better and my nose wasn't stuffy.

For both of us being sick we really got a good nights sleep.

Ive had the humidifier on all morning and as long as Reef is in there with it his nose is clear and his breathing is much better!

Happy Sunday
Xo
J

A few aromatherapy things I loooove.

- put a dab of lavendar on the bottom of babies feet and on the back of their neck right before bed, it helps baby with restlessness.

- When taking a shower in the morning put the drain stopper in and add 3 drops of peppermint oil and let the shower run very hot before you get in. Change the temperature to suit your fancy and get on in. The peppermint steam will wake you up in a clean fresh way. (do this with lavendar before bed time for added restful sleep).

- To clean up the air in the kitchen and sanitize put a small pot of water on to boil. Once boiling add 5 drops of eucalyptus oil to it and let the steam clean the air.

- Bug repellant (this recipe freaking rocks, I got it here)

  • 4 oz. clean spray bottle with a fine mist setting (do not use a bottle that previously contained cleaning products or hair products such as hair spray).
  • 1.5 ounces of distilled water and 1.5 ounces of high-proof alcohol (vodka is suitable, isopropyl or rubbing alcohol is not). Alternatively, you may omit the alcohol and increase the amount of distilled water to 3 ounces (I used witch hazel and vinegar). 
  • 15 drops Citronella Essential Oil
  • 10 drops Lavender Essential Oil
  • 10 drops Eucalyptus Essential Oil
  • 5 drops Lemongrass Essential Oil

Directions: Fill the spray bottle with the choice of either 1.5 ounces of distilled water and 1.5 ounces of alcohol or 3 ounces of distilled water. (Even though a 4 oz. bottle is suggested, leave about 1 oz. unfilled so you can shake the bottle well between uses.) Then, add the essential oils.

To Use: Shake the bottle before each use. Essential oils do not fully dissolve in water and alcohol and will settle. If you do not shake the bottle, you risk having concentrated droplets of essential oil irritate your skin.

Mist onto your skin and clothing and reapply as necessary. Discontinue use if you feel sensitivity from the repellent. Be careful not to mist delicate fabrics or surrounding furniture that may be harmed by the ingredients in the repellent. Be especially careful not to allow the mist fall into open beverages.

No comments:

Post a Comment