Sunday, February 5, 2012

Top Reasons Why High Needs Babies ROCK.

So, I haven't been the most positive person in the world about having a High Needs Baby...I have my moments and way too many of them. I know, I know. I realized I post a lot about the negatives and that I whine a lot. me? Whiney?! NEVER. hahaha.

Having a baby is hard enough, having a high needs baby is a whole world I just wasn't prepared for. Well, after six months I'm getting more and more settled into Reef's unique personality. I thought I would share some perks of having a high needs baby. By the way, this is not meant to be offensive to anyone with a superduper awesome baby who does things like sleep and play by themselves (oh , the dream). It's just me trying to survive and stay positive when I haven't slept in a week.

Soooooo...

**You get extremely creative REALLY fast as a parent to a High Needs baby. Everyday is a new mystery to what will calm and please Reef. I had no idea I could bounce, rock, pat, and make my arms do a vibrate motion while doing dishes..oh yea, and holding Reef.

**You get to buy new accessories...Baby wearing ones that is! Slings, Wraps, Baby Bjorns..you name it, we've used it...an excuse to buy fun things I get to wear is always lovely.

**You're never EVER bored. The high needs baby keeps you constantly entertained and engaged 24/7. Seriously, Reef never stops moving and playing.

**You learn to Share...everything. I've always thought I was good at sharing until I had Reef, then I reached a whole new level. Oh, you wanted to shower alone?? Fat chance. "Me time" means "Reef time". Sleep? With Reef pushing me out of bed, not going to lie...he pays me back in cuddles. You wanted to eat in quiet? More like let Reef screams with Joy at trying to pull the fork out of my mouth. So, yea...I'm good at sharing now.

**You become a total Go With The Flow/ Living In The Present Moment kind of person. I strived for 23 years to be someone who lives completely in the Present Moment but constantly failed. Well, with Reef there is no other option. The second I make plans I make sure Im not attached to those plans because I never know if Reef is just going to screeeeeaaaaaam all day or be completely displeased with me. Now I live moment to moment with him...bounce to bounce as I like to say.. (oh wow, did i really just say that).

**You never ever give up because when you've hit that point and you have nothing left to give The High Needs baby will pull it out of you because THEY never give up. Reef just won't stop until whatever he NEEDS is met. This NEED is usually some sort of mental and physical stimulation. So, as soon as I think 'I give up, I can't effing to do this'  he screams at me until I figure out all he needed was to wrestle (by the way, our wrestling is rolling around on the bed and me kissing his face).

**You become strong. Literally. I rarely sit and am constantly moving, my legs are getting tone and I can probably lift things my husband can't. It also strengthens you mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. You reach new levels everyday...like a video game... kind of.

**You save money. On toys that is. This may not be the case for all parents with High Needs babies but it is with Reef. He would rather play with me then any toy I put in front of him and once he's "figured" the toy out, he's OVER it.

**You become the most patient person on earth. Okay, not realy but you do learn an EXTREME amount of patience.

**Personality. You get to learn your baby's personality REALLY early in life...like out of the womb early..and to me, that is really really freaking cool.

**I'm using my college education!!! Okay, well some of it. I took mostly theater, dance, and drama therapy courses in college (i never, ahem, graduated...) anywho...I dance more now then EVER before. Those early mornings in a freezing dance studio in the dead of winter have completely paid off!

There you have it folks, Top Reasons Why High Needs Babies ROCK. If you have other reasons leave them in the comments below! Orrrrr if you have reasons why YOUR baby rocks leave those in the comments below too!!!

Happy Sunday

Xo

J

ps more 14 daysof love posts to come...reef has been well...unique  the last few days so my posting had to be put on hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment