Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Valley Of The Temples

I took a mental break on Sunday. No cleaning, no working, no nuthin. I drove to the other side of the island and spent the morning at Byodo-In Valley Of The Temples Memorial Park. It was quiet and beautiful. Every single memorial/grave had an amazing array of flowers set on it. People were out there having lunch and commemorating their loved ones who had passed...I know it's weird but it wasn't at all somber feeling but light and vibrant- they were celebrating, it was great.

I decided to take the old road home and drive along the eastern coast of Oahu. I hit Waiahole, Waikana, Kaawa, Punaluu, Hau'ula, Laie, Kahuku, and all through The North Shore. It reminded me of The Big Island and I felt at home. These places are where the old farmers live, the people who have been cultivating this island for generations, it's beautiful. When King Kamehameha (the king who united the Hawaiian Islands) would go off to war, this is where he would hide his family...deep in these valleys...his lineage is still there to this day.

My dad was worried when I decided to stop about every few miles to take photos and talk to people. There's still racial hostility in Hawaii and although my dad is as brown as can be I am well, white looking. I never understood race until I was about thirteen. My mom and dad were not white and brown they were my mom and dad and we lived in Hawaii, pretty simple (at least I thought). Anywho, I met some people who were actually from South Kona on the Big Island, it was fun to talk story with them and I had nothing to worry about :)

Here are some pics of Byodo-In...I will upload more as soon as I get them edited!!

Photobucket

Photobucket
I totally creeped on this family.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment