Tuesday, December 20, 2011

RIP Kainoa

A year ago today I fell on the floor in my hallway, tears streaming down my face, and clutching my stomach that housed a pea sized Reef. It was 5am and raining, raining hard. It never rains in Ewa Beach.

A week after I found out I was pregnant you died. Just like that.

And then right after you were gone you gave three people what they had been begging God for. You gave them life four days before Christmas. Wow.

There were three days of nonstop celebration in honor of your life. All of Kona was there. Everyone cried, partied, and cried some more. I wish I could've been at the parties.

I didn't get to see your family until ten months later, yes, that was too long. By this time I had my son and he was two months old but your mother's sorrow was still eating her. I could see you missing from her soul and it tore me apart. Her strength was so admirable, when she held Reef I cried and hoped she didn't see. She's my hero.

My father gave Reef his middle name, Kaikoa. Yes, Warrior of The Ocean, I don't think there's a better name then that for him. I ask you, ever so humbly, to watch over him Kainoa and give me strength like that of your mother's to love him and help him grow.

We miss you and know you're still there, in all of Kona town wrapping your arms around those you love.

Xo
J

No comments:

Post a Comment