Friday, April 15, 2011

"Dancing with Max"

I'm a picky reader...seriously...I can be a horrible little snob...the only other thing I'm a snob about is coffee and that's because I grew up with hand picked specialty reserve roasts in Kona- it's ruined me for life. But, when I picked up "Dancing With Max" by Emily Colson at Borders the other day I HAD to buy it.

This is by far the best 200 something pages I have read in a while (and I'm not counting the fact that I just reread the last Harry Potter book...again). I literally couldn't put it down. If I wasn't so darn tired and back to working I would have just sat for a few hours and read the whole thing at once...I tried to savor it but I couldn't make it last more than two days (booo). I even read it while I did laundry and made dinner...no joke.
Photobucket

This book is a story of an amazing mother and her brilliant son with autism. I can't even explain how inspiring and awe inducing their stories are. She explains her sons autism with such love, honesty, and eloquence you can't help but drink in every word. And her son, Max, is simply perfect. He's completely innocent and full of so much love you can literally feel it while you're reading.

They're faith in God and love for their church is so genuine it makes me feel like I need to hit up Palm Sunday Mass when my dad comes over this weekend (actually he's making me go with him no matter what but still). No matter where your belief system lies I can guarantee you won't be able to put this book down.

I told my mom, after I finished it and had to gush to her all about it, that "everyone should read this, it would bring such a better and non-complicated understanding to the special needs community".

So here's to love and inspiration. Here's to you, Max.

** Visit http://emilycolson.com/ to find out more and to order this fabulous read.

3 comments:

  1. I was literally searching the internet for hours last night trying to find a good book on the disability experience..i've read so many, but need to find one for a course this time. I have to write a paper (and senioritis has kicked in - in full force) so I was searching for one that I knew would spark something inside. I'm definitely getting this one TODAY!! So excited! Thanksss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg mack I was going to call you today but was running late for work because i wanted to tell you ALL about it!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't wait to read it. as soon as I finish we'll have a book discussion via skype!! (i know i sound like a huge nerd..but i know you probably had the same idea so its totally okay).

    ReplyDelete