Monday, April 11, 2011

Icelandic Genius

I first heard Olafur Arnalds in 2007 and never stopped listening (I always put big headphones on my belly so Reef can listen, if he's kicking the bageezus out of me this tends to calm him down). I would constantly listen to his music while I sat on the windowsill  of my dorm room in New York writing short stories while snow fell and fell outside until there was nothing but white and I had 20 pages of something to turn in completely inspired by his twist on classical music.

One day we were completely snowed in and campus had shut down. So, I did the obvious, and took a Taxi to the town next to my school and got my third tattoo (I'm keeping the name anonymous because the people there were rude & I would never go back). It is one that I absolutely love and really captures so much of my life in New York.

Photobucket
"Beauty of whatever kind, in it's supreme development invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears"- Edgar Allen Poe
That's nice and all, but what does it have to do with Olafur Arnalds? The birds are not my design or chosen randomly they are from the cover of Olafur's second album Variations of Static. He went on to keep the theme of these birds in his shows during his tours.

This 25 year old musical genius is from Iceland and constantly sells out concert venues. My sister was lucky enough to meet him and see him play in Los Angeles..I'm so jealous. Below is a three part short documentary about Olafur. I promise you, you will not be sorry you watched it and then went and bought all of his albums- it really is that good.



No comments:

Post a Comment