Monday, January 9, 2012

Pajama Monday: Parenting a high needs baby vol. 5



Today is Pajama Monday. At least that's what I'm calling it. Reef is extremely needy today. If I'm gone for more than a few minutes while he naps he freaks out. This isn't new. It used to be like this 24/7, this used to be our normal nap routine. Now, it happens about once or twice a week. Huge step for us.

BUT I still have a tinsie bit of an issue adjusting...mostly because I had my entire day planned in my head and it involved healthy meal prep and starting...INSANITY: THE ASYLUM. I mean just look at the box!


So, instead I snuggle with Reef and read lovely blogs and baby sites. I made the mistake of browsing different (unnamed) baby info websites to see what the five month milestones are and to also read up on high needs babies and nightmares, well nightmares in general really. Now...and here comes a rant... I found A LOT of info on "CIO or Crying It Out". I get infuriated over this method. I'm not a believer in it AT ALL. Sorry if you are and I've offended you. I don't even like the whole 'wait one minute then go in and comfort them, if they cry when you walk out then wait two minutes etc'. There is scientific evidence that proves this method causes ANXIETY in babies. This method was developed a long time ago. Back when formula was thought to be better than the boob. We learn and we grow. But, for some reason, we haven't grown out of Cry It Out.

I guess I'm extra sensitive over the issue because there have been SO many people suggesting that to me for Reef. I'm usually never snotty but I tend to retort "there's scientific proof that crying it out is bad for his brain but thanks for the advice". Gah, I know, mean mommy. I've learned not to talk to most people about Reefs needs and our attachment parenting style. It's what works for us and maybe that's what worked for them. Le sigh. If you've gotten this far, I thank you for reading.

Xo
J

No comments:

Post a Comment